Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Wrinkle In Time


I remember the first time. I was stumbling around the library looking for something to read. I was nine and as a part of summer camp we spent Wednesdays at the library. I can almost see myself wondering around the library a pair of worn out red Keds, crisp white socks a new pair of red shorts and white shirt from the local TG&Y. My hair was in long pigtails with red knockers.

I looked pretty cute and if I remember correctly I thought I was cute at the time too. 

I loved library Wednesdays. Instead of spending time outdoors we went to the library to listen at storytellers and to check out books. I loved to check out books. I always considered it a privilege to get a new book to read each week. The smell of a newly acquired book still sticks with me till this day.

I was wondering around the library when I first saw it. I took it off the shelf. The cover was relatively new. I read the back cover and decided this would be the book I would spend a week with. The library allowed children to check out two books but this week I only wanted the one in my hand.

Sitting down at a table I began to read.  A Wrinkle In Time” by Madeline L’Engle.  I would spend the next few hours enchanted and engrossed in what is still my favorite book of all time.  By the end of summer I’d read all of Madeline L’Engle’s books.

A “Wrinkle In Time” changed my life. I learned to dream.

 A couple of years ago my local library had a book sale and the first copy of “A Wrinkle in Time” that I ever read was being sold for a dollar. The book was very old and the dates that I checked it out were still stamped in the front.

 
Abby

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children." - Madeline L'Engle

0 comments:

 
© Abigail Madison Chase

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs at MyGrafico