Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Abby's 300


    According to Herodotus, Leonidas had been warned by the Delphic oracle that either Sparta would be destroyed or their king would lose his life. Leonidas chose the second alternative.


     I awoke this morning thinking of King Leonidas.  King Leonidas and 300 men, a small force of Greeks, Spartans, Thespians and Thebans who volunteered; fought against the larger Persian army of Xerxes at the pass of Thermopylae. According to my favorite historian Herodotus, the Delphic oracle warned King Leonidas he would either be destroyed and lose his life. King Leonidas chose to battle.
     I am always, always, amazed that one man was able to find 300 men to follow him into certain death. The question always looms large in my mind “Who will stand with you knowing you are going to lose the battle”. It’s a question so many over the millenniums haves asked. I myself have asked on several occasions “Who will STAND with me in a losing battle?”

    King Leonidas always reminds that no matter what, there are people that will stand with you. The oracle of Delphic was corrected and all the Spartans and Thespians died along with their King Leonidas. But in the end, 300 men stood together and won just by standing. These brave souls became the inspiration the Greeks needed the next year to win a battle over Persians.

      Yes, I did indeed. I wake to the sun beating on my face, wondering, “Who will be my 300? Who will be my King Leonidas and lead me into battle and certain death?”

 Abby~

0 comments:

 
© Abigail Madison Chase

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs at MyGrafico